Lucy HG Solomon
Cesar & Lois; The League of Imaginary Scientists (Artist/Researcher)
California State University San Marcos, Department of Art, Media and Design (Associate Professor)
EXHIBITIONS, ACTIONS and COMMISSIONS
- Trifecta (September 2021–December 2021). Allochronic Cycles by Cesar & Lois; with plant microbiologist Dr. Joanne Chory, Salk Institute, La Jolla Historical Society, La Jolla, CA.
- Aesthetica Art Prize Exhibition, Future Now (May 2021–September 2021). Degenerative Cultures, island nation and rising tides by Cesar & Lois. York Art Gallery, UK
- Eat the Internet with Cesar & Lois: digital foraging, analog mushrooms (June 2021). Yes We Cannibal, Baton Rouge, USA.
- Edital CoMciência – Ocupação em Arte, Ciência e Tecnologia (December 2019–March 2020). Degenerative Cultures: Floresta Amazônica by Cesar & Lois. MM Gerdau, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
- Global Digital Art Prize Biennial (October–November 2019), Degenerative Cultures: corrupting the codes of duality by Cesar & Lois. NTU Institute of Science and Technology for Humanity, Singapore.
- Sentient States: Bio-mind and Techno-nature (June 2019), The Bhiobrid Logic of Degenerative Cultures by Cesar & Lois. Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Porto, Portugal.
- Subterranean (April 2019), Traces of Nature’s Knowledge by Cesar & Lois. San Diego Mesa College Art Gallery, San Diego, CA.
- ICIA (International Competition for Intermedia Art)(December 2018 – January 2019), Crossing Knowledge Systems: Conversations across Nature and Humanity. Galeria Wydziatu Intermediów OPCJA, Krakow, Poland.
- The Urgency of Reality in a Hyper-Connected Age, SIGGRAPH2019 (2019), An Integrated Bhiobrid Reality: Degenerative Cultures. SIGGRAPH, Los Angeles and online.
- Grey Matter (January 2019), Thinking like a Mushroom by Cesar & Lois. A Ship in the Woods, Escondido, California.
- Uncommon Natures, Lumen Prize Exhibition (September 2018), Degenerative Cultures by Cesar & Lois. Brighton Digital Festival at Phoenix Brighton in Brighton, UK.
- ISEA (International Symposium on Electronic Art) 2018 in Durban (June 2018), The [ECO]Nomic Revolution: when microbiological logic determines everything by Cesar & Lois. Denis Hurley Center, Durban, South Africa .
- A Ship in the Woods Music and Art Festival (June 2018), Acornucopia by LOIS. Felicita Park in Escondido, CA.
- CODAME ART+TECH Festival 2018 (June 2018), Degenerative Cultures with Interpretative Readings by Cesar & Lois. The Midway, San Francisco.
- LAST (Life, Art, Science and Tech) Festival 2018 (April 2018), [ECO]nomic revolution – Palo Alto by Cesar & Lois. SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Stanford University.
- Microgentrification takes over Los Angeles (April 2018), Microgentrification – Los Angeles by Cesar & Lois. JAUS Art Space, Los Angeles.
- Campus Creatives (April-May 2018), Anthropocene Data Visualization by LOIS. California Center for the Arts, Escondido.
- XX Generative Art Exhibition 2017 (December 2017), Degenerative Cultures by Cesar & Lois. MAR – Museum of Art, Ravenna, Italy.
- Action: [ECO]nomic Paths: following microbiological logic, Berlin (February 2018), [ECO]nomic Paths – Berlin by Cesar & Lois. City-based actions with introduction at IZM, Universität der Künste, Berlin.
- Balance-Unbalance (August 2017), The Incredible Balancing Act by LOIS. Plymouth University, UK
- Postcards from the Anthropocene: Unsettling the Geopolitics of Representation (June 2017), Postcards from the Anthropocene by LOIS. University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Sundance Festival (January 2017), Social Cinema Machine by LOIS. Comissioned by Sundance Institute, Sundance, Park City, Utah; also screened at Locomoción Festival (October 2017) in Mexico City and Alternative Film Festival (finalist, best animation, 2017) in Toronto, Canada.
- Flat Earth (September-November 2016), RePangaea by LOIS. A Ship in the Woods, Escondido, California,
- Felicita (June 2016), Mechanized Eco-Systems and Ecologically Tuned Instruments by LOIS. A Ship in the Woods, Escondido, California.
- BroadCast 2016, curated by Kim Abeles (September 2016), Really Real Estate by LOIS. Keystone Gallery, Los Angeles, California.
- Vision LA Climate Action Arts Festival (December 2015), Earth, Exit This Way by LOIS. Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena, California.
- Distant Yet Connected (April 2015), microcosmic view of ecosystems. 643 Project Space, Ventura, California.
- The Incredible Balancing Act by LOIS (March-April 2015), with workshops for students. McNish Gallery, Oxnard, California.
- Vague Notations, or Please Befigulate by LOIS (August 2014), curated and produced by FICTILIS. Interface Gallery, Oakland.
- Time Pools: Accessing the Aquifer by LOIS (April-May 2013), with the Groundwater Institute and the participation of University of Memphis student artists. Art Museum of University of Memphis.
- When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer (November-December 2012), Model Universe by LOIS. Space Gallery, Portland, Maine.
- Seeing is Knowing: The Universe (September-November 2011), Blazar! by LOIS. Carleton College, Minnesota.
- Model Universe (2012), physical interactions with the Universe by LOIS. Llewellyn Gallery, Alfred, NY: 2012.
- Public Engagement (January-March 2011), The Evolving Contraption by LOIS. Comission for Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), Los Angeles, California.
- Entropy Engineering (August-October, 2011), Entropy Engineering by LOIS with students of Dr. David Zietlow (Mechanical Engineering). Hartmann Center Art Gallery, Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois.
- Lovely Weather: Art and Climate Change (November 2010 – January 2011), The Irish Rover: Looking for Mars Off the Northern Coast of Ireland by LOIS. Commission by Leonardo/Olats and the Regional Cultural Centre / Donegal County Public Art Office, Letterkenny, Ireland.
- Animalia (May-June 2010), Hybrid Dolphin. The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Art and Agriculture (May 2010), Yeast Fields, Columbia Center for the Arts, Hood River, Oregon.
- Performance at 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference (December 2009), Human Glacier, result of iLand residency with choreography collective E.K.K.O. Museum of Contemporary Art, Copenhagen.
- Interacting with Water Systems (August 2009), Waterways iLand residency with chemist David Garin, architect Annie Kwon, composer Matt McBane. Waterpod, New York/
- 2012: Art, The City, and the Environment, curated by Yoko Ono (October 2009), Human Glacier with sound by Paul D. Miller by LOIS and E.K.K.O choreography collective as the result of collaborative work with chemist David Garin, architect Annie Kwon, composer Matt McBane. The Drop, Chelsea, New York City
- Conflux 2009 (September 2009), Water Stories by LOIS and E.K.K.O choreography collective as the result of collaborative work through iLand residency*, with chemist David Garin, architect Annie Kwon, composer Matt McBane, supported through iLAND’s iLAB Residency Program. Williamsburgh Waterfront, Brooklyn.
University of California, Davis. Thinking across Technology, Cellular Systems, and Ecosystems. NEA Artist in Residence with Dr. Matthias Hess as Cesar & Lois: Spring, 2020.
Residency in UC Davis Hess Lab for the Art Works initiative, The China Shop, withinteractive workshops and laboratory experimentation about microbiomes’ responses to climate change.
Yes We Cannibal. Eat the Anthropocene with Cesar & Lois. Residency in Baton Rouge, LA (virtual) with Yes We Cannibal collective: 2021. Explorations of human cultural and fungal cross-overs, with foraging workshops and the development of a mushroom AI.
University at Buffalo. Thinking within Ecosystems: Collective Cell Consciousness. Residency as Cesar & Lois at Coalesce Center for Biological Arts, hosted by Paul Vanouse: Winter, 2020. Laboratory-based experiments with project-based work and workshops on what it means to be human, with a focus on interactions between internal and external microbiomes, or the gut and the environment.
University of Memphis and Groundwater Institute. Artist in Residence as LOIS: Spring, 2013. Collaborative project with art and design students on art and science project about the Memphis Aquifer, resulting in the exhibition, Time Pools: Accessing the Aquifer at Art Museum of University of Memphis.
Bradley University. Visiting Lecturer and Collaborations Coordinator: 2011. Collaborative workshops in engineering and print and interactive media design; resulting in an interactive exhibit explicating entropy as well as earthquakes and their effect on social structures.
Leonardo/Olats with NASA. Artist in Residence as LOIS with the collaboration of NASA’s Mars Exploration team and Dr. Steve Squyres: 2010—2011. Project development and public interactions for Lovely Weather: Art and Climate Change, resulting in an exhibition at the Regional Cultural Centre, Letterkenny, Ireland
MIT. Faculty Collaborator in Synthetic Biology Lab with Dr. Natalie Kuldell: 2009 – 2010. Collaborative teaching of print and interactive media design to bio engineering students; collaborative lab-based development of interactive research.
iLAND. Artist / Researcher in Residence: 2009. Residency with E.K.K.O choreography collective, artists and scientists in participatory practice involving chemistry and dance focused on the theme of water; resulting in public art projects for The Waterpod (NYC); Conflux Festival (NYU); Dumbo Arts Festival; and the NY Water Taxis in the Brooklyn Bay.
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts). Visiting Artist for Intermedia MFA program: 2006. Development of digital media project connecting the University of Newcastle (Australia) and CalArts.
- The Routledge Handbook of Practice-Based Research, Thinking Together through Practice and Research: Collaborations across Living and Nonliving Systems (chapter), ed. Vear, Craig, Abingdon, UK, Routledge: projected in 2021.
Notes: coauthorship with Cesar Baio
- Media-N | The Journal of the New Media Caucus, Case Study: Remixing Knowledge with Layered Intelligences, ed. Burrough, xtine, et al. Winter 2021: Vol 17, Issue 1, Pages 29–43
Notes: coauthorship with Cesar Baio
- Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts (Revista de Ciência e Tecnologia das Artes)(ISSN: 1646-9798; e-ISSN: 2183-0088), Thinking Within and Across, ed. Torres, Rui and Cristina Sa, André Baltazar, André Sier: Portuguese Catholic University, Porto, Portugal: 2020.
Notes: coauthorship with Cesar Baio
- Springer Journal’s International Journal of Community Well-being (IJCWB) Special Issue Intersections of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Community Well-Being: Perspectives, An Argument for an Ecosystemic Intelligence ed. Rakova, Bogdana, et al, Springer, New York: 2020.
Notes: coauthorship with Cesar Baio
- Postcards from the Anthropocene: Unsettling the Geopolitics of Representation, LOIS: at Play in the Anthropocene, ed. Cincik, Benek, Tiago Torres-Campos: DPR-Barcelona, Spain: projected in 2020.
Notes: chapter on working with an art collective and with climate-related art in the Athropocene
- Critical Makers Reader, Drawing on Theory to Build/Unbuild Media, or Lalalalalalalalala, ed. Bogers, Loes and Letizia Chiappini: Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (HVA): 2019.
Notes: chapter comprised of dialogue with co-writer Xtine Burrough
- Revista ClimaCom Scientific Culture, Culturas Degenerativas: Volume: Yr 06 n. 14 IISN 2359-4705: 2019.
Notes: Brazilian journal, art submission to the issue on Mycelial Fabulation
- Revista Científica da Fap, Culturas Degenerativas: Experimentações em Torno de uma rede “Biohíbrida”
Degenerative Cultures: Experiments around a “Biohíbrida” Network: FAP v. 19 n. 2 (Jul./Dec): 2018.
Notes: Brazilian journal; second author (first author Cesar Baio)
- GASATHJ – Generative Art Science and Technology Hard Journal. Degenerative Cultures: 2018.
Notes: first author (second author Cesar Baio);
- 24th International Symposium on Electronic Art. Mediated Natures – proceedings, Speculative Futures and Justice Panel, (ISBN: 978-0-620-80332-8), Durban, South Africa: 2018.
Notes: Byline of Cesar & Lois (Cesar Baio and Lucy HG Solomon)
- XX Generative Art 2017. Degenerative Cultures: Corrupting the Algorithms of Modernity, proceedings, Domus Argenia Publisher (Itália): 2017
Notes: Notes: Byline of Cesar & Lois (Cesar Baio and Lucy HG Solomon) with CSUSM students
- UPPERCASE Magazine. Vacation Land Anthropocene – Wish You Were Here! Volume 34, UPPERCASE Publishing Inc: 2017. Notes: artwork
- Visual Communication Quarterly. Hot Air: Data melted my glacier…, Volume 23, No. 2, Routledge: 2016.
Notes: article on creative approach to climate change by LOIS
- pacificREVIEW. Zoologic, in Vivarium Issue, ed. Ryan Kelly, San Diego State University Press: 2015.
Notes: artwork and text
- Leonardo Journal. The Irish Rover: Looking for Mars Off the Northern Coast of Ireland, Volume 45, No. 2, MIT Press: 2012. Notes: article on LOIS collaboration with NASA MERS (Mars Exploration Rovers)
- Super Human – Revolution of the Species. Evolving Dolphins, in Second Nature, Issue 3, RMIT University School of Creative Media: 2010.
Notes: article that looks at new nature and integration of nature and technology
RECENT PUBLICATIONS about
- Cianciotta, Aurelio. “Degenerative Cultures, thoughts as food.” Neural, 14 Feb. 2020, http://neural.it/2020/02/degenerative-cultures-thoughts-as-food/
- Mucelli, Tadeus. Catálogo Exposição CoMciência Edição 2020 | MM Gerdau-Museu das Minas e do Metal. CoMciência: Arte, Ciência e Tecnologia, 2020.
- Brant, Ana Clara. “Humanamente Falando.” Estado de Minas, 17 Dec. 2019.
- Brant, Ana Clara. “Obras em exposição no Museu MM Gerdau se situam na fronteira da tecnologia com a arte e tratam da interação do homem com a máquina e sua ação destrutiva no planeta (Works exhibiting at the MM Gerdau Museum are on the frontier of technology with art and deal with the interaction of man with the machine and its destructive action on the planet.).” UAI, 17 Dec. 2019.
- Ferreira, Beth. “Culturas Degenerativas Ganha o Lumen Prize. (Degenerative Cultures wins the Lumen Prize)” Bitsmag.com.br, Bitsmag, 13 Dec. 2018, bitsmag.com.br/cultura/culturas-degenerativas-ganha-o-lumen-prize.html.
- “A Arte Ganha Vida Quando Uma Obra Híbrida Biológica-Digital Conquista o Prêmio. (Art comes to life when a hybrid biological-digital work wins the award)” Patria Latina, 26 Nov. 2018, www.patrialatina.com.br/a-arte-ganha-vida-quando-uma-obra-hibrida-biologica-digital-conquista-o-premio/.
- Verzignasse, Rogério. “Fungos Criativos (Creative Fungi).” Correio, 24 Oct. 2018. http://correio.rac.com.br/_conteudo/2018/10/entretenimento/603971-fungos-criativos.html
- de Pierro, Bruno. “Arte Sintetizada Em Laboratório (Art Synthesized in a Laboratory).” Revista Pesquisa, Edition 271 Sep. 2018. revistapesquisa.fapesp.br/2018/09/18/arte-sintetizada-em-laboratorio/.
- Ai, Eve. “Degenerative Cultures: Living Organisms + Artificial Intelligence.” Machine Learning, 25 Sept. 2018. machinelearning.ai/artificial-intelligence/degenerative-cultures-living-organisms-artificial-intelligence/.
- Asch, David. “Brighton Digital Festival 2018 Launch, Part 1.” Twisting Pixels, 19 Sept. 2018, twistingpixels.art/uncommon-natures/.
- Broomfield, Andy. “Brighton Digital Festival 2018.” New Media Thinking, 15 Sept. 2018, newmediathinking.com/2018/09/brighton-digital-festival-2018/.
- Young, Ken. “Slime Mould, Books and Artificial Intelligence.” University of Brighton, 12 Sept. 2018, brighton.ac.uk/about-us/news-and-events/news/2018/09-12-slime-mould-books-and-artificial-intelligence.aspx.
- “All the Art.” The League of Imaginary Scientists and Cesar & Lois Talk STEAM. Fall issue. 2018.
- Beiguelman, Giselle. “Listening Images Column.” DesVirtual. Obra Artística Combina IA e Sistemas Naturais / Artistic work Combines AI and Natural Systems, 6 Aug. 2018. http://www.desvirtual.com/obra-artistica-combina-ia-e-sistemas-naturais/.
- Simões, Poliana. “Jornal De Noticias.” Obras Com Vida Própia: Bioarte – Sabia Que a Natureza Também é Um Suporte Para a Produção Artística?, 21 Mar. 2018.
- A Field Guide to iLANDing: scores for researching urban ecologies. The League of Imaginary Scientists, in collaboration with E.K.K.O, produced by iLAND (Interdisciplinary Laboratory for Art Nature and Dance): 2017.
RECENT CONFERENCE, TALKS and WORKSHOP PRESENTATIONS
Future Now Symposium 2021 presented by Aesthetica Magazine (virtual): Cesar & Lois (panelist)
Beyond Return (virtual): Beyond Speciesism—Towards Ecosystemic AI (virtual): Cesar & Lois, presenter
CSU Long Beach: Inclusive Sustainability: The Data Stacks: Modular Exhibition Space for Data Visualizations about Ecosystems, Climate Justice and Sustainability (panelist)
Happiness Alliance, CA, USA (virtual): The Happiness Roundtable: AI and Community Well-being, (panelist)
OsloMet (Oslo Metropolitan University), Norway (virtual): FeLT-Futures of Living Technologies (panelist)
CSUSM Kellogg Library, Chasing Andromeda Panel Discussion and Photography Display (virtual) (panelist)
UT Dallas, Arts Technology and Emerging Media, Artist Presentation to Masters Students (virtual)
Apresentação de Segundo Volume de Série Cibertextualidades: Investigação-Experimentação-Criação:em Arte-Ciência-Tecnologia (Presentation of the Second Volume of the Cibertextualities Series: Investigtation-Experimentation-creaction in Art-Science-Technology) (virtual): Cesar & Lois, Microbiological Poetics (presenter, panelist)
Coalesce Center for Biological Arts: Coalesce Disperse: Reports from the Lab, University at Buffalo (virtual): Cesar & Lois, Bio Art in the Time of Global Pandemic (presenter, panelist)
Discussion with BIOliloLAB (virtual, São Paulo bio art collective)
Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), Brazil, Graduate Seminar, Interdisciplinary Artistic Practice: Science, Technology and Climate Change (guest lecture)
Sarah Lawrence College, NY: Talk: “Art, Technology, and Ecological Thinking: integrated AI and networked consciousness” (talk by Cesar & Lois)
Coalesce Center for Biological Arts, University at Michigan: “A Collaborative Writing Workshop with Nonhuman Entities” (workshop by Cesar & Lois)
Colgate University, NY: “How do human beings think with microbiological logic?” (talk by Cesar & Lois)
New Media Caucus: Border Control, University of Michigan: “Crossing Knowledge Systems: microbiological x human x artificial intelligences” (workshop presenter, panelist)
Consciousness Reframed: Sentient States, Porto, Portugal: “Crossing Knowledge Systems” (Cesar & Lois, presenter)
World-Ecology Research Network Conference: Planetary Utopias, Capitalist Dystopias: Justice, Nature & the Liberation of Life, SF: “An Ecotopian Framework for Rethinking Societal Paradigms” (plenary speaker)
Popular Culture Association: Communication and Digital Cultures, D.C., Living Archives Panel (presenter)
CSU Humanities: Humanities/Arts Webcast: “Microbiology as a Lens for Human Societies” (presenter)
ISEA2018 (International Symposium on Electronic Art), Durban (exhibiting artist, panelist, Cesar & Lois)
II Workshop Internacional Arte & Ciência, Rio de Janeiro (co-presenter)
“The Operating Logic of Spores,” Universität der Künste, Berlin (guest artist lecture)
Generative Art, Ravenna, Italy (exhibiting artist and co-presenter)
Balance-Unbalance, Plymouth, UK (exhibiting artist and artist talk)
UC-CSU KAN Nearly Carbon-Neutral Conference (presenter)
Popular Culture Association: Communication and Digital Cultures, San Diego (presenter)
UC-CSU Knowledge Action Network Workshop, CSU Fullerton (area representative)
Global Studies Faculty Colloquium Series, CSUSM (speaker)
Creative Inquiry in the Arts & Humanities Institute (participant and co-presenter)
Building and Strengthening Digital Humanities Through a Regional Network (presenter)
CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference (presenter, award recipient)
Symposium on Electronic Art), Hong Kong (presenter)
University of Texas, Dallas, ATEC ArtSciLab (presenter)
Association: Communication and Digital Cultures, Seattle (presenter)
AHSIE Best Practices, CSUCI: STEAM Across Classrooms (collaborative workshop)
2019: Water Resources & Policy Initiatives Faculty Research Incentive Award, role: Development of project on data visualization of CA water history
2018: Social Justice and Equity Project Grant (CSUSM; also in 2016 and 2017)
2017: Sundance Institute Commission to LOIS, role: project director and artist; Partners for the Americas Grant for art and science exchange with Peru awarded to California State University San Marcos and Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos; directed by Robert Carolin, role: lead faculty for research exchange in the Amazon (Summer, 2018)
2016: Campus as a Living Lab (CALL) Grant for Data Visualization: Connecting Students to the Campus and their Environment with Art & Technology
2015: CSUPERB Travel Grant for research at UT Dallas ATEC Art-Science Lab; Digital Humanities Stipend for Digital Humanities Regional Network
2014: Oxnard City Council Arts Grant for Mentor / Mentee Project
2012: AIR Grant, Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs
2011: Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles (MOCA) Commission
2010: OLATS Commission; CEI Grant, LA Dept of Cultural Affairs
2009: iLAND Fellowship; ApexArt Commissioning Grant; Arts Tasmania Grant
2008: e-MobilArt Fellowship; New Media Grant, Swiss Federal Office
HONORS and AWARDS
Fulbright Global Scholar Award for project, A Pan-Microbiological Portrait of the Arctic, the Andes, and the Amazon
Shortlist for Aesthetica Art Prize (UK) for Degenerative Cultures for Degenerative Cultures (2021)
Honorable Mention in Edital CoMciência Edição 02 from MM Gerdau (Brazil) for Allochronic Cycles (2020)
Longlist for Lumen Prize in Artificial Intelligence for Allochronic Cycles (2020)
Final Selection for NTU Global Digital Art Prize Biennial Exhibition (Singapore) from NTU Institute of Science and Technology for Humanity (NISTH) (2019)
Shortlist for Prize in Intermedia Artwork for Crossing Knowledge Systems: Conversations across Nature and Humanity, by International Competition for Intermedia Work of Art (ICIA), Kraków, Poland (2018)
The Kerri Mowen Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award, awarded by CSUSM (2018)
Lumen Prize in Artificial Intelligence for Degenerative Cultures (2018)
Change Maker Award for STEAM and Sustainability in Higher Education, awarded by CYPHER International at the Sustainable Earth Decathlon (2016)
Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Best Practice Award for Sustainability in Academics: Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences – Sustainability Experiences Through Interactive Design to CSU San Marcos, awarded by CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference (CHESC) (2016)